Egg Plant/Brinjal -large one (250 gm)
Green Chillies - 2 (or as required)
Onions - few
Masoor Dal - 1/4th cup
Oil - 4 tsp
Coriander leaves - a bunch
Tamarind - lemon sized ball
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
Salt - as required
Seasoning stuff- mustard, hing, 1 garlic clove, 1 red chilli/pepper (dry), oil
Preparation time: 1.5 hrs (including baking time- 1hr)
- Coat brinjal surface with oil, bake it in oven at 350 F for an hour (Time varies with the size of egg plant, typically 30-45 mins).
- Meanwhile in a pan, add masoor dal, diced onions, diced green chillies, ginger, tamarind and half a bunch of coriander leaves and saute` them.
- Grind the ingredients into a coarse paste. Add salt while grinding.
- Take the baked egg plant, peel off the outer layer. Mash it.
- In a pre-heated pan, add oil, seasoning stuff. Fry the contents. Now, add mashed egg plant and the ground paste in step 2. Boil the contents for 5 mins.
- A delectable Vankaya pachadi/Egg plant chutney is ready.